Thursday, April 29, 2010

Links from a guilty pleasure blog

I have some thoughts fermenting in my mind about the recent surge of "blood and soil" nationalism in this country, from the birthers to the recent law in Arizona to all the talk of "real America," but it'll be awhile before they coalesce into something worth reading. For now I'll offer some links for your edification.


First off, I have to thank Chauncey DeVega for tipping me off to this brilliant piece in New York magazine detailing Sarah Palin's political grifting.

In case you didn't know, the new law in Arizona 
was written with the help of someone connected to white supremacist extremists. The principle author, Russell Pearce, likes to hang out with neo-Nazis. My worst fears are coming true: these fascists (these are the real kind!) have used the Tea Party movement to move from the fringe to the mainstream.

When I feel like getting my 80s on, "
Suddenly Last Summer" by The Motels always gets the job done. "Bette Davis Eyes" does too, though more the reverby guitars than the airy synths.




The Times has a great piece on the problems with PowerPoint, which has gotten me thinking about using it less in my classes.

This is one of most wonderful 
People of Walmart photos I've ever seen. By wonderful, I mean horribly disgusting.


Tim Wise has some interesting thoughts on what the reaction might be if the Tea Party were black, instead of white.


The ever insightful Eugene Robinson gives his two cents on the Arizona law.

And, to close it all out, 
the great Frank Rich lowers the boom on Goldman Sachs.


The Rejectionist is my other guilty pleasure blog... you'll meet her soon. Brace yourself...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...